Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  Are real estate for sale signs allowed?

A:  No billboards or signs of any description may be displayed upon any lot in Runaway Bay with certain exceptions. A small sign (maximum 8" x 8") with a number and/or QR code only may be placed on the lot for real estate sales purposes. The small sign may not contain any Realtor advertising. The small sign may not be placed in the road right-of-way or on any common areas of the Association. Therefore, the sign must be a minimum of 15 feet from the edge of the asphalt. If the right-of-way is mowed more than 15 feet from the asphalt, the sign must be placed outside the mowing area. A QR code can be read with a smart phone app and provides a link to information about the property for sale.

Q:  How do I get a mailbox and post?

A:  All Runaway Bay property owners are required to have the same mailbox and post. The Association maintains a supply of the posts and boxes. The cost for post and box is $223.50. Extra boxes are available for $30. You or your contractor will have to install the post/box. If you would like a mailbox and post or a replacement box, please contact Julie Moore, Property Owner Services Manager, at 434-309-1737 or

Q:  Are short-term house rentals allowed in Runaway Bay?

Q:  What is considered a short-term rental?

A: Short-term rentals are not allowed in Runaway Bay. Neither the county zoning code nor Runaway Bay covenants allow short-term rentals. According to our understanding of what the Campbell County attorney said at a zoning violation appeal hearing, the county would consider it a "short-term" rental if the party renting the property did not change its address when it rented the property.

Campbell County's Zoning Administrator recently found a property owner in violation of County Code by running a "hotel" in Runaway Bay. The property owner was renting his house on a weekly basis. The Zoning Appeals Board upheld the decision of the Zoning Administrator requiring the owner of the said property to cease using the house as a "hotel". The Zoning Appeals Board also found that the use of the house for short-term rental was not consistent with the following statement of Legislative Intent in the zoning code: "Zoning district boundaries are intended to include development of the same general character and density and to exclude development of a nature inappropriate to the character of the neighborhoods involved."

Reference: Zoning Hearing on Appeal of Administrative Decision - Zoning Matter 08-00747on 27 November 2007.

Also note that when you buy property here, the seller is required by Virginia Law to obtain and provide to you a Disclosure Packet from the Homeowner's Association containing the Declaration of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions, and the Declaration of Restrictive Covenants. You are strongly urged to familiarize yourself with these Covenants.

While the DECLARATION OF RESTRICTIVE COVENANTS OF RUNAWAY BAY as filed with Campbell and Bedford Counties does not state that "short-term rentals are prohibited", it does state that residences are to be used for "single family purposes" and "residential purposes-only...single-family dwellings..."

By limiting residences to single family and residential purposes only, the Restrictive Covenants effectively prohibit short-term rentals.

Q.:  Please specify the responsibility of the Association and the individual property owner with respect to off-site septic drain fields and sewer lines.

A.:  See the illustration below for an explanation of terms used in answering this question.

Many of the lots in Runaway Bay do not perc.  Therefore, the developer ran a sewer line from those individual lots to a designated drain field easement on common area (off-site drain field).  These sewer lines, referred to as Forced Main Sewer Lines (FMSL) run through most existing common area roadway utility easements in the development, including many of those bordering properties serviced by on-site septic fieldsand in some cases across lots.  The Association and the property owner each have certain responsibilities for the FMSL and off-site drain field easements as specified below.

The Association's responsibility with respect to the FMSL is limited to insuring the surface of all common area roadway utility easements, which may include drain field easements, is maintained so as to permit accessibility.  The Association's responsibility with respect to the common area embodying the designated off-site drain field is limited to insuring the site is reserved for the designated purpose and remains accessible for drain field installation and maintenance

The property owner is responsible for:
  • Installation and maintenance of the designated off-site drain field, including excavation for drain line runs and removal of existing trees within the designated site only.
  • Regrading and reseeding the surface above the drainfield to prevent erosion after installation by the property owner.  Any trees that were removed to install the drainfield should not be replaced. 
  • Maintaining the integrity of the underground drain lines in the designated off-site drain field.
  • Maintaining the FMSL from the property to the offsite drain field throughout its complete run.
  • Repairing any other FMSL that may be damaged when the property owner, or property owner's agent, excavates within the utility easement. 

All property owners are cautioned that surveys conducted by Miss Utility will identify only public utility service lines (electrical, telephone).  As the FMSL are part of a private utility system, the presence of FMSL within a roadway utility easement will not be marked during a Miss Utility survey.  Third party contractors are available in the local area to conduct private utility identification and marking survey.  The individual property owner is responsible for contracting for this FMSL identification and marking survey to avoid damage to FMSL buried in the common area roadway utility easement.

The diagram above illustrates terminology used in this statement.

On the left side of the diagram note two lots:  the one illustrated in orange has on-site septic service, the one illustrated in blue has off-site septic service.  Common area utility easements bordering the roadway are shown in front of each lot.

The Forced Main Sewer Line originates on the blue lot and proceeds off the lot into the roadway utility easement where it runs in front of the orange lot through the roadway utility easement depicted in yellow and on until it crosses under the roadway to the area depicted in green, which is common area reserved for one or more designated off-site drain fields.  On this illustration, the Forced Main Sewer Line servicing the blue lot is connected with the drain field in the triangular (shown for illustration purposes only) off-site area specifically reserved for the blue lot among the larger common area.

Q:  I plan to sub-divide my lot or combine two lots into one.  How does this affect my assessments?

A:   If a lot is subdivided into two lots, each of the subdivided lots will be assessed one-half of the regular annual assessment and one-half any special assessments. If two lots are combined into one lot, the combined lot will be assessed two times the regular annual assessment and two times any special assessments. The purpose of this requirement is to ensure that the Association remains whole with regard to dues assessments.

Q:  How do I obtain my Runaway Bay Mailing Address information (i.e. house number)?

A:  Call the County for Zoning-Address Assignment.  (434) 332-9639

For 911 location, the entire Runaway Bay subdivision is mapped out with the street addresses assigned. All you have to know is the lot number.